Latest News

Voice of the People: Q&A with Cutting Edge Fashion Designer Miriam Harris

Monday, August 17, 2009 , Posted by Ashleigh Fitzwilliam, CEO and Founder at 6:34 PM



Life and Style Union warmly introduces Miriam Harris, fondly known as Mimi, an upcoming fashion designer from Newark, New Jersey whose creative zest for apparel and accessories has landed her appearances in several of New York City’s high profile fashion showcases. LSU had the opportunity to catch up with this blossoming fashion synthesizer Mimi, and get the inside scoop on her career and what we can expect from her collections in the future.
Ashleigh:
Greetings Mimi, thank you for being here on Life and Style Union and sharing your unique story with us. LSU wants to know more about you as a fashion designer, so let’s get to the gusto!When did you become aware of your talent and keen eye for fashion?

Mimi:
Well.......I've always had a love for fashion. I can remember outfits that my mother used to wear when I was a little girl, like four years old! From as early as I can remember, I enjoyed getting dressed up. I was quite the "girly" little girl .

Ashleigh:
Why do you have such a love for fashion and style?

Mimi:
I think I have a love for fashion and style because I adore art. Any form of expression really whether it's poetry, painting, graffiti (legal), tattoos......it's all good to me. Most importantly, I love fashion because it's wearable art. People live their life in clothes and to be able to have people wearing my art is a dream come true!

Ashleigh:
What inspires your textile creations?

Mimi:
My inspiration comes from three places: memories of my childhood, the cities I've lived in and the WONDERFUL era of the 1940s and early 50s! I incorporate these three elements in all of my designs as much as possible.

Ashleigh:
Who do you appeal to mostly in the design and feel of your clothing?


Mimi:
Ladies that want comfort, style and sex appeal. One thing I always strive to do is create garments that you feel comfortable wearing.

Ashleigh:
Do your collections cater to diverse shapes and sizes of the NYC masses?

Mimi:
Oh most definitely! I have been on both sides of the fence physically so I believe that I know what women want. Regardless if you're a size 2 or a 20, you should feel confident and sexy in the clothing you wear.

Ashleigh:
Have you every considered being a contestant on the hip Bravo reality show Project Runway?

Mimi:
LOL! I would love to. I've been told to submit and try out for it. Maybe next year though. It's a fantastic show and a wonderful opportunity! When I go, I want to be able to BRING IT!

Ashleigh:
Does your fashion sense defy all common trends within the popular fashion community, or do you flow with the styles and patterns produced by other designers?

Mimi:
Um, both plus one more. I don't like to follow trends alot and that's not how I dress myself. Some pieces are fab and are great to wear nowadays, however I'm a true believer in STAPLES. Every woman should have a great pair of jeans, pencil skirt, classic white shirt, little black dress, cardigian, so on and so forth.

Ashleigh:
As a Black woman and fashion designer in New Jersey/NYC, have you encountered obstacles and/or conflicts with other fashion designers or the industry in general?

Mimi:
Not with other designers as of yet, thank goodness! So far, so good. I'm meeting a lot of new designers that are trying to make their marks, much like myself, and it seems like right now, we're all trying to follow the "golden rule". I get notice of shows from them or shoots and I do the same for them. The industry...........well............it's very hard to make it in this industry. It's very cut throat. When I first started trying to get into different fashion houses I got no where FAST! It was very discouraging. I cried alot and sometimes I still do. However, I'm a true believer and have faith in God. I know that if this isn't what I am to do, then I wouldn't be able to sew anymore. So I had to hit the pavement harder. I am still stomping (laughing)! Also, that's the reason why I decided to start my own label "FumiDesigns". Now "FumiDesigns" is my focus and I'm trying to get my label off the ground!

Ashleigh:
What is your most favorite self-designed piece out of all your creations?

Mimi:
I think my favorite is a tailored wool jacket.It's cream and white checked with a leopard lining! I think it's bad, yet classic! It took a LOT of hand work and I was very pleased with the outcome.

Ashleigh:
Viewing your collection presented in the Urban Fashion Week event, I observed that you used black and blue hues throughout. Why did you choose black and blue for the female attire?

Mimi:
I decided to design evening and cocktail for that show so I definitely wanted to use the color black. The aqua came into play when I realized that the fabric I had with the fire motif had a light blue hue in it, very close to the aqua I had. So I decided to explore the light and dark throught that collection.

Ashleigh:
As a popular fashion designer in NJ/NYC, have you acquired a large and diverse clientele base? Who are some of your clients? Any celebs rocking your threads?

Mimi:
Large? Not yet, but God willing I'll be there soon (laughing!) Right now, I'm working on a client to client basis. I enjoy this because it's very personal and catering. Hopefully, with my designs being in more fashion shows, I'll be able to reach out to more clientele. And EVERYONE that I design for is a celebrity in my book (laughing!)

Ashleigh:
I like that Mimi; that's right LSU people, you are the true stars of the show (laughing.)Where can LSU readers find and purchase your clothing?

Mimi:
LSU readers can view pieces for purchase on
www.facebook.com/fumidesigns , www.myspace.com/fumibymimi. madammimi0618 and fumidesigns are my yahooIM names. Feel free to contact me at either site, instant messenger and/or fumidesigns@yahoo.com.



Ashleigh:
For the young people out there in the world, trying their hand at fashion designing, what 101 advice do you have to share with them?

Mimi:
If you're passionate about doing this then DO NOT give up. There are lots of obstacles in fashion, much like any other career, but the end result is very rewarding. Push hard and believe in yourself!! Thank you so very much Ashleigh for letting me be apart of Life and Style Union by having this interview. You're just too cool!

Ashleigh:
Thank you Mimi for taking time out of your schedule to join us on Life and Style Union. You are welcome anytime.

Ladies and Gentlemen, log on to Mimi's sites to view her collections. Totally fab. I hope to leave you guys with Mimi's resignating words of encouragement "DO NOT give up." Until next time, peace and blessings...

*Eternity signing off*

Currently have 0 comments:

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment