Latest News

Her Fingers Orchestrate Her Dreams: Voice of the People Correspondent George Jones Interviews Upcoming Songwriter F.reelance

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 , Posted by Ashleigh Fitzwilliam, CEO and Founder at 7:19 PM


Joining us today on Life and Style Union, we have up-and-coming songwriter, Freelance. Born and raised in California but now resides in Raleigh, North Carolina, F.reelance’s determination and readiness to excel in the industry, radiates throughout her skin. At the young age of 22, F.reelance made it known that her dream of becoming a professional songwriter will shortly become a reality. Welcome to Life and Style Union F.reelance, let’s get started…

George: When did you first start writing songs?

F.reelance: If I can remember right, I first started writing when I was 10 years old.

George: Do you remember the first piece you’ve written? Was it a poem to a grade school crush? (Smiling)

F.reelance: I know I’m not that old lol but I honestly don’t remember the first piece I wrote...sorry couldnt tell you. (laughing) and no it wasn’t a poem to a grade school crush..maybe if it was I would remember it lol.

George: Has there ever been a time where your dream was differed in anyway? If so, how did you get back on track?

F.reelance: As far as I know, no....my dreams have been the same; I just let certain people stop me for a while. I got back on track by realizing I can no longer live my life for those that won’t support me anyway and been writing ever since.

George: Being a songwriter, is there a specific genre you cater to? Or are you well rounded?

F.reelance: I usually cater my music to R&B, but it doesn’t really matter to me...I just choose R&B because that’s what I mainly listen to. But, what I write can be for any genre, I don’t discriminate.

George: Where do you get the inspiration to write such songs?

F.reelance: I have actually a few people that inspire me. For one I have my siblings because they support me with what I want to do. They are the only ones that have lived with me and I write about certain things that have happened. Secondly, the inspiration comes from myself because I write about things that have happened to me, mistakes I've made and so on....etc...Last but not least, my BIGGEST inspiration comes from a lady im talking to. She pushes me to do my best, matter of fact, better than what I know I can do. It really gets on my nerves but I thank her for it.

George: What is your most recent work and can you tell us about it?

F.reelance: Literally this morning I finished one of my songs called 'Thank You'. It’s not your typical thank you song. It’s focused on those that aren’t supportive of me and what I do; I’m just thanking them because they've made me stronger.

George: Who in today’s industry do you feel would be the ideal candidate for you to write a song?

F.reelance: (Pause) I haven’t really thought about it. But I would write a song to an entertainer that has been through just as much as I have and probably more things than I could experience in my life. I have a couple people in mind but I’m not sure because I really don’t know them and I don’t want to make a song for someone that isn’t true.

George:  In light of your era being the early 90s, how do you feel music has changed from that time period, to the new millenium? 

F.reelance: Honestly, I think the music that was played in the 90's rules [over]  what’s played today. Don’t get me wrong, there are alot of good songs out there, I just think 90s music was better because it focused on I say, real things. Don’t take this as an insult, because like I said there are alot of artists who do make good music I enjoy.

George:  Besides yourself, who do you feel is the most talented songwriter out today?

F.reelance: I have to say Ne-Yo because he writes about things people can relate to in life. I’m not saying all the other artists aren’t like that because they are.

George:  Where will we see F.reelance in the next five years?

F.reelance: I see myself as a successful songwriter and producer. Enough said.

George:  Before I let you get back to writing more unique ballads(smiling), can you leave us with a word or two for those who aspire to become the future heavy hitter songwriters in the industry?

F.reelance: Never give up on your dreams.

George: Thanks for sharing your story with us here at Life and Style Union F.reelance. Much success to you and your future endeavors. Until next time ladies and gentlemen, this is Voice of the People Correspondent George J signing off.