Latest News

Voice of the People: French Music Producer Steve Charvet

Saturday, August 8, 2009 , Posted by Ashleigh Fitzwilliam, CEO and Founder at 4:37 PM


Ladies and Gents, LSU presents to you Steve Charvet, a young producer whose music has impacted Paris, France in the most profound ways. Mixing musical elements of various legendary artists, Charvet skillfully brews a soulful, hip hop, urban hardcore concoction for European and international music junkies to enjoy. He has worked with artists in both the United States and France, even winning over the title of "Les Victoires de la Musique" recipient, the French equivalent to the Grammys. Check out the interview to learn more about Steve Charvet, music mastermind.


Ashleigh:
It's wonderful to have you on Life and Style Union to share your story with our readers and viewers Steve. For starters, how long have you been involved in the music industry?

Steve Charvet:
I've been in the industry since the late 90's 1998 to be exact. My first official music release on disc was in 1998. But, I started producing a year after, 1999.

Ashleigh:
What was the central force behind your decision to pursue a career in music?

Steve Charvet:
I have to say passion. I never really saw it as a career,since music was my best friend, I just viewed it as something I love to do. Fortunately, this passion has transformed itself into a full fledged career in music.

Ashleigh:
How have your life experiences shaped the rhythms and beats created in your music production?

Steve Charvet:
My life experiences shaped my music in every way. Specifically, the music I produce reflects certain experiences and emotions I have endured throughout life. The bad times gave me beautiful inspiration for some dark, intimate music, while the good times manifested itself as upbeat,zesty music. In a nutshell, music was and continues to be, an outlet for me.

" Build Your Own Sound and Color"
Ashleigh:
What genre of music do you focus on? Or have various genres influenced your music?

Steve Charvet:
Myriad genres of music have influenced my musical style. When I was young, my parents listened to a lot of music from Bob Marley to David Bowie. My father is a blues guitarist, so as a kid I would listen to all his record collections- BB King, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker,Eric Clapton etc..but i got to say Ashleigh, that I always loved black music from Jazz to Blues to Classic R&B, African Music like Fela Kuti. Unmistakably, the first record I bought myself was Thriller by Michael Jackson,no need to say more...my music reflects these artists.

Ashleigh:
You are a French producer so I must ask this question.Have you ever visited New York City,the mecca of music creation and practice?

Steve Charvet:
Not at all. Seriously, I would love to come to NY.

Ashleigh:
Yes, do make that the next mission on your agenda (laughing.) Well, do you see your music crossing the regional lines of Europe and traveling to the States (USA)?

Steve Charvet:
I started to work with some German artists. I've worked with Hedonis Da Amazon- a female rapper from Philadelphia. I also worked with Swigga, a rapper from the Bronx. Gradually, my music production is extending beyond European soil. In France however, I've had much experience working with artists who rose to stardom in Europe.

Ashleigh:
The music industry is notorious for chewing up potential talents( amateur singers,dancers, & producers) and spitting them out. It’s a very competitive, “dog-eat-dog” arena. Have you in any sense, experienced the harshness of the music industry as a producer?

Steve Charvet:
Of course I experienced that a lot of the time,the truth is that in the music biz most of time you work with people who do not love at all but its like in any kind of work you got to make some [sacrifices] if you want to grow,but sometimes its hard not to have a bad reaction when u are confronted with some people who think they know your music better than you the producer.

Ashleigh:
How did you overcome that obstacle?

Steve Charvet:
By staying focus on the main goal which is making good music (chuckles.)

Ashleigh:
Do you have any future projects in store for France and now NYC?

Steve Charvet:
I’m working on some french artist albums,like I said I will come to NYC soon and extend my network base further, make my impact on the music scene! That is definitely a goal of mine.

Ashleigh:
Absolutely true. What valuable advice can you give to those undiscovered talents out in the world, who have an immortal and burning desire to make it to the top, as a singer and/or producer?

Steve Charvet:
Believe in yourself and work on your differences. Build your own sound and color.


People check out Steve Charvet and his production company Purple Haze at the following links:

1)www.myspace.com/purplebobax

2)www.myspace.com/purplehazeteam

3)www.purple--zone.blogspot.com


Dont forget to view this link - French Revelation Award winning artist Sefyu (Heads Up: it's in French guys. For non-French speakers, enjoy the music production behind the lyrics )

Currently have 1 comments:

  1. Great blog! I will definitely check out your book as i'm a music producer looking for more insight on the business. Cheers!

    producer chris young

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment